Dexter and I were out in the park this morning just doing our regular tennis ball routine and someone walked up to me to tell me quite curtly “your dog isn’t on a leash” which is correct but…. it’s just Dexter.
That is not a question that plagues dogs’ minds. Ask anyone of them and they will say “Arf” like “is that even a question?” No question about it, most dogs would give their canine teeth to be able to frolic about without a leash.
So what are the Seattle area rules?
- Dogs have to be on a leash in most places. Cats do not.. WHAT?
- Well trained dogs who carry their own leashes comply with the law … OK?
- Metro Buses allow most dogs at no charge …. maybe it makes the drivers less grumpy?
- Most people know they have to pick up dodo, interestedly “service dogs”owners are exempt.
- Strict liability means that dog owners are almost always are on the hook for your dog’s acts — even when irresponsible people are injured … Par for the course these days.
Back to Dexter and our hours at the park. I was quite happy with the second law about carrying their own leash smart move but not quite sure of the “service dogs” dodo law.
As they say, a well behaved dog is the best dog.